Health Tip: Warm Up Before You ExerciseLast Updated: 2012-Jun-21 :: (HealthDay)
(HealthDay News) -- Taking a few extra minutes to warm up before your workout can offer many health benefits.
The American Council on Exercise mentions these examples:
- Increased core body temperature, which leads to more efficient calorie burning.
- Muscles are able to contract more quickly and forcefully.
- More oxygen is sent to the working muscles due to increased metabolic rate.
- Better elasticity in the muscles, which reduces the risk of injury.
- Improved muscle control and range of motion in the joints.
- More comfortable, longer workouts and improved psychological preparedness to exercise.
Copyright © 2012 HealthDay. All rights reserved.
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.