Ginger Sorensen is a registered and licensed dietitian at Sherman Health, and her expertise has been sought in the past. She’s back on the blog with a great recipe for those chilly autumn days.
Mushroom Soup Ingredients
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup minced shallots
- 4 cups chopped button mushrooms
- 3 cups chopped assorted mushrooms, such as shiitake, portobello, oyster
- 1/3 cup dry sherry
- 6 cups reduced sodium vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 cup thinly sliced shiitake mushrooms
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons parsley for garnish
Mushroom Soup Preparation
Heat oil in a heavy saucepan over medium heat. Add shallots and sauté until soft (3-5 minutes). Increase heat to medium high. Add chopped mushrooms; cook, stirring until liquid is almost evaporated (10-15 minutes). Stir in sherry and cook for 3-5 minutes or until sherry evaporates. Add broth, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 20minutes, stirring occasionally. Add sliced shiitake mushrooms; continue to cook until mushrooms soften (about 10 minutes). Season with salt and pepper. Garnish with chopped parsley.
Recipe adapted from The Enlightened Eater’s Whole Foods Guide by Rosie Schwartz.