Thanks to Downtown Elgin for the excellent and consistent parade updates.
We’re a few days away! Elgin’s 4th of July Parade steps off Wednesday, July 4 at 9AM at the intersection of Slade and Douglas Avenues. If your calendar is still open Wednesday morning, here are 4 reasons it’s a great idea to attend this year’s 4th parade.
1. It’s bigger and better than ever.
With 115 parade units confirmed, including 24 floats and over 2,500 walkers, this year’s 4th of July parade is shaping up to be one of the largest parades to date.
2. Speaking of floats…
“This year’s parade float competition will reflect the decidedly epicurean parade theme slant with participants encouraged to adorn their parade units and floats in food-themed décor. Parade floats will compete in three categories: Open, Business and Kids. A special Eco-Elgin award will also be presented to the float that best represents sustainable practices in its construction and presentation.”
3. This year’s food theme helps both your stomach and the community.
This year’s parade theme is Red, White, and Food. It’s a celebration of Elgin’s great tastes, unique flavors, and diverse cultures. And you’ll have a chance to directly help the community through food donations. Two organizations will benefit from your generosity:
- The Boy Scouts of Shabbona District Three Fires Council will be collecting donations of canned goods during the parade to be donated to local food pantries.
- Volunteers from Kountry Pet Resort, who will kick off our pre-parade entertainment with the Second Annual Kountry Pet Resort Pooch Parade shortly before 9AM, will also be collecting donations of canned pet food to be donated to local shelters including Animal House and Almost Home Pet Rescue.
4. Sherman Health is the presenting parade sponsor.
So you know it’ll be an event Elgin will be proud of! But really, the parade’s success is the result of the partnership between the City of Elgin and the Downtown Neighborhood Association. They’ve been working year-round to make this year’s parade the best it can be. For more parade information, including street closures, sponsors, and entertainment, visit downtownelgin.com.
We’ll see weather in the 90 degree range all week. Look for a Sherman Health article before the parade on how you can beat the heat.